Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #17: Month-over-Month Retention Rate

justynam
8 - Asteroid

My solution - with batch macro

Definition of "close account" was a little tricky, but I got it

Jim7
8 - Asteroid

This challenge took a little longer than some, but it was fun.

justin_winter
8 - Asteroid

So I basically cheated and avoided the batch macro. I'm really not sure why a batch macro even makes sense here... Seems like an inefficient solution :/ It's really clean without the batch macro.

danrh
13 - Pulsar

aking
7 - Meteor

Starting to get better at the Macros

Spoiler
Capture17.JPG
tcroberts
12 - Quasar

Here's my solution:

Spoiler
MacroMacroWorkflowWorkflow

Converted dates and joined their values which allowed me to also drop unwanted columns. Passed into my macro which filters by accounts open on that date then flags those that closed within the month before summarizing and spitting out the proportion of customers lost.

The instructions were a little unclear, but I'm pretty sure this challenge is looking at the proportion lost rather than the retention rates, although its as simple as subtracting from 1 to get one from the other. I suppose .

Does anybody know of any good resources for learning to use macros more proficiently? I had to go back and look at some other exercises to figure out how to use a batch macro, as there's no interactive lesson on them yet.

svenk
8 - Asteroid

My Solution!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
This one was fun. Creating the macro and getting it to work was easy, it just took me longer than it should have to get the expression correct in my Filter within the macro. I wanted to make it dynamic enough, though, that a user could simply input the month number into the text box and the logic would be dynamic enough to define the necessary year from the incoming data.
17-2.PNG17.PNG
OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

I created my workflow so that the months were created based on the date range in the 'closed date' field so that it is dynamic as the data changes.

Spoiler
challenge_17_completedScreen.jpgchallenge_17_completedMacroScreen.jpg
dillon_bok
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Week 17 macro.PNGWeek 17.PNG