Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #17: Month-over-Month Retention Rate

Ukashi
8 - Asteroid

Good occasion to train Batch Macros - thanks for that

my solution :

Spoiler
image.pngimage.png

Thanks for challenge

AlexC2
8 - Asteroid

Somewhat tricky but enjoyed the challenge

BSilverblatt
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the challenge! Here is my solution:

DavidLane
8 - Asteroid

Nice refresh of batch macros.

My solution was perhaps not quite as elegant as the offical solution using the action to update a single text input within the macro, but it got me there.

Spoiler
DavidLane_0-1589721494099.png

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Did it both with and without the batch macro - hint - if you can run all of them without the batch, you have 99% of the structure of the batch macro

Spoiler
jarrod_0-1590174568730.png

kli
6 - Meteoroid

I am also confused about why retention rate would have closed account number as the numerator, but I built my macro as the challenge requested anyway. I found a little issue with the solution's formula for determining the open accounts. It uses [Close Date] > [Start of Month] date as part of the criteria. I think it should be >= instead. If an account is open on 5/30 and closed on 6/1, it should still be considered as open in Jun even if it's a partial day. 

Spoiler
challenge_17_KL_screenshot.jpg
GeraldJTessier
8 - Asteroid

Here my solution

seinchyiwoo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A fun challenge using batch macro!

Spoiler
seinchyiwoo_0-1591873168054.png

Spoiler
and the macro:
seinchyiwoo_1-1591873184757.png

rahmed
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

My solution

Tberney
8 - Asteroid

The question is what to inside and outside the macro. Anyone have a reasoning that makes sense?

In the event I decided that the macro would take a list of months (not dates) to filter on the control parameter and the open/close data pairs on the input. It returns the #of accounts at the beginning of each month as well as the number of accounts created during the month. I calculate the % in the calling workflow. Here is the macro:

Spoiler

Tberney_0-1592645997533.png

Tberney_1-1592646025530.png

and the workflow:

Spoiler
Tberney_2-1592646095091.png