Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #17: Month-over-Month Retention Rate

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

More catching up ...

Spoiler
2019-01-16_20-21-19.jpg
KeithTroutt
8 - Asteroid

good challenge

JoshuaM
8 - Asteroid

Was a bit confused with this challenge in calculating the retention rate and solving for open vs closed accounts. I was able to refresh myself with batch macros (which is the most important part!) but had to leverage some of the posted solutions for assistance. All in all a great exercise but definitely went through a mental workout.Snip.PNG

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge #17, done!

Spoiler
Challenge17Macro.PNGChallenge17.PNG

Cheers,

Verakso
11 - Bolide

This was really a tough nut to crack (hence the use of icon in my Batch Macro) 😄

Maybe my idea of taking on these weekly challenges in a chronological order was not the smartest move, since I have never heard of batch macros until now.

But Batch Macro was the task at hand here, so I had to learn the basics about this, and once again @JoeM 's Live Training on Build Your First Batch Macro was an excellent help.

At least I got a better understanding of Batch Macro's, but I still had some trouble 

Spoiler
In the end my workflow and macro ended up looking like this
The WorkflowThe WorkflowThe Batch MacroThe Batch MacroAll though I did get the fundamentals right on the macro itself, I had a hard time with my formulas/calculations

I had to look into @GeneR solution many times, trying to figure out where the differences where.

In the end, it came down to my (bad) interpretation of the challenge.

The first part on looking on data 24 months back was okay, but my "assumption" to first find opening dates in the 24 months interval and then look at the records with in the closing months was wrong. My logic was flawed, and I counted records that was closed outside of the current month.

Perhaps I should search for another live training on data types and calculations 😄

Perhaps I should take on these challenges in the chronological order, but start with all the easy ones first, before I progress to the more advanced stuff. 😀

Still climbing
/Thomas

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Great excercise on Batch Macro development! I'd recommend to check out the "CS Macro Dev" Series here on community for extra help.

My solution attached. 

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution ... I had to review Live Training session of Batch Macros

rfergus
8 - Asteroid

Not sure if anyone  will read this to correct the start file but here is a rewording of the description so that it matches the formulas for the solution file.  "The numerator is total number of accounts closed in the month.  For example, June 2013, between June 1, 2013 through June 30, 2013. The denominator is the number of accounts newer than 24 months still open at the start of the month. For example, June 2013, the numerator would be the total number of accounts open between June 1, 2011 through May 31, 2013 and had not been closed prior to June 1, 2013."

Spoiler
image.pngimage.png
FeedMeData
8 - Asteroid

Learned a lot from this one

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hard part of this challenge was getting the formulas correct to work for each month.  Fun challenge and great way to practice building a batch macro.

Spoiler
workflow 17.GIFMacro 17.GIF