Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #168: Dice Game - Born to Solve

rinacio
7 - Meteor

:)

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

First time using the Frequency Table tool. Solution attached.

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflow
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @JORGE4900.  I now understand your point and I had to think about this and algebraic theory of probability.  Really this is two separate events:  The dice roll and the math.  Since each die is independent of each other, the algebraic theory of probability for any given roll is 6^3.  After the roll we then apply the math rules to get our roll total.  Thus, while there are 56 unique possible math combinations (thank you unique tool!), there are 216 possible rolls that need to be evaluated.

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Full disclosure: I attended this session at Inspire. It was fun to see my fellow weekly challengers, @estherb47 and @patrick_digan, live (and we learned how to properly pronounce @patrick_digan's name!) Since I lead a weekly challenge meetup at our office each week, I wanted to see how others articulate their thought process while solving (which @estherb47 demonstrated very well). 

Since I'd already seen the "normal" solution, I tried to make this one dynamic (number of dice, number of sides).

As an aside, the largest number of sides available on a die is 120 ("the ultimate fair dice allowed by Mother Nature").

As another aside, with three 120-sided die, there are 136 different scores tied with a count of 183, and those scores range from 3,137 to 4,231!

Spoiler
challenge_168_workflow.png

EmilyCR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Would have been great to see this one live! Fun challenge :)

diksha1107
7 - Meteor

Incredible use of Mean, Mode, Median!

Solution attached!

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Fun challenge!

Spoiler
challenge_168.PNG
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Nice challenge! Here's a quick solution (although I'm sure it could be done more elegantly)

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Really good challenge that gets you thinking.  Can't wait to review how others approached this and solved!

Spoiler
challenge_168.png