Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #168: Dice Game - Born to Solve

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

This is such a great idea to get the thoughts of how someone solves a problem! I am so sad I missed this! Excellent work @patrick_digan and @estherb47! Definitely a fun challenge!

Spoiler
Challenge 168.PNG
Claje
14 - Magnetar

This was an interesting one!

Spoiler
I think I definitely overcomplicated the flow.  Looking at some other solutions, there are definitely good ways to solve this using a more condensed flow.  I like my answer because it should be completely dynamic and it uses the Sample tool to exclude the lowest die, and then uses a join to get the data back.  This is certainly a slower solution than many of the others posted.

claje_168.PNG
Eduardo_Pavan
6 - Meteoroid

My solution certainly takes a lot longer but it is more hands on and fun!

Spoiler
Capture solution.PNG

ryangensel
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
I was actually present during this session at Inspire. Without it, I probably wouldn't have used the "tile" tool in my solution.

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 3.33.58 PM.png
garthn555
8 - Asteroid

Spoiler
168.png

My go at this....now to check other solutions !

Alekh
9 - Comet

Tried it with transpose, cross tab and then straight formula too.

Spoiler
168..png

bnelly1987
8 - Asteroid

My route seems a bit different from what I am seeing on here. I've always liked the Cross Tab and Transpose tools.

Spoiler
Solution-Challenge 168.PNG

garthn555
8 - Asteroid

After I get spoilers working properly :(

Alekh
9 - Comet

@garthn555 You can edit your response (clicking the ... icon on the top right of your response) and drag the image into the spoiler box.

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

You can actually just logic why the solution cannot be 36.  Since the last number (smallest) is added, the product of the first two can be no smaller than 30 and no larger than 35 (last die cannot be greater than 6 or less than 1).  Factoring the numbers between 30 & 35 leads to only one number that has 2 paired factors between 1 & 6:  30, with a factor pair of 5 & 6.  Given the constraint that the added number must be less than or equal to the lower number the maximum result with a product of 30 is 35 (6*5+5).