Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #167: Grand Prix 2019

ianwi
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Jean Girard.jpgI'm not sure if you know it, but Alteryx isn't the only organization that puts on a Grand Prix. Turns out they are pretty common for something called Formula 1.

This week's challenge gears up for the 2019 Grand Prix by taking a look at race data from 1950-2018. In Formula 1, points are awarded to the top 10 drivers after each race. After all the races in the year, the driver with the most points is named champion. Drivers also represent their teams in the "Constructor's Championship". (Constructor = Team) Use the provided data to find the youngest and oldest ever champions, and what team they drove for during that season.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here's my take!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
The best way that I could think to find the team name was to use the URL from the Team Details table. Not the cleanest or most dynamic for that part, but gets the job done here!

Capture.PNG

EDIT: Realizing that constructorId was a field given in the Race Results table would've helped... *facepalm*

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution

Spoiler
03-06-_2019_17-38-34.png
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Crepes.png

"I will let you go, Ricky. But first, I want you to say..."I... love... crepes."

Spoiler
Workflow.pngPretty straight forward.  The only tricky part was picking between Lewis and Seb as the youngest.  I went back and changed my age calculation to return days instead of years and calculate from the date of the last race of the year

Dan

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

10 MORE DAYS UNTIL MY FAVORITE EVENT OF THE YEAR!! 

Here's my solution! 

Spoiler
The key for me here was definitely sorting things the right way... Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton were both winners at the age of 23, so I had to think (way too hard, if I'm being honest... gotta love a Monday) about how to determine which one was the younger 23 year old :)

WeeklyChallenge167.JPG
Also threw me off a bit that the Driver Standings YXDB wasn't needed... and that there wasn't actually any race results data from the year 2018. I mean, extra data and missing data? Who has to deal with that in real life?? ;)

Cheers, and see you all in a week!!

NJ

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Happy Monday, everyone!  See you next week at Inspire!

Spoiler
Workflow 167.GIF

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

rickybobby.jpeg

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Here my solution :)

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.