Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #166: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - at Inspire

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

My resulting image:

Spoiler
I thought I may as well use a Mount Everest-like icon for this walking challengeI thought I may as well use a Mount Everest-like icon for this walking challenge

My workflow:

Spoiler
Using formula tools for spatial data is quite usefulUsing formula tools for spatial data is quite useful

Notes:

Spoiler
I intentionally did not plot participant 5 as that person has not walked at all. First generate some data by walking the walk and then you may do the talk (:
shnbrb
7 - Meteor

Nice to tackle a spatial challenge as I don't really use these tools often! can't work out how my text went green though - it is set to black in the config!?

Spoiler
166.PNG
alex
11 - Bolide

I added a line graph to track the participant progress as well. 

Chart.JPG

Spoiler
workflow.JPGmap.JPG
EricR

Not as pretty or well labeled as some of the others, but it's complete.

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.

ConradW
8 - Asteroid

completed

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I really enjoy the spatial exercises. Spent way more time on this than I probably should have, mostly playing with the Report Map tool. Also I added a date filter with a Map interface tool so I could watch the progress of the participants.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

When you think about it - 500 miles is a long way to walk for someone...

500Miles.jpg

Here's the tracking chart for our participants:

SolutionMap.png

Spoiler

Here's the solution:
- This relies on ordering the points in the route; then doing a distance check between each two; then doing a running total (i.e. the distance of each point from the start along the route)
- Then cross-join all the participants against all the points (with their distances)
- Then find the closest one point to that distance

FlowPic.png

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

@shnbrb - it's pretty weird that the default map label is green text with a thick black outline! That's definitely the first thing I change when I make a map. To change it, just set the text color to black (or whatever you like). You can also remove the outline (if desired) by setting the size to zero.

clipboard_image_0.png