Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #166: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - at Inspire

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

My resulting image:

Spoiler
I thought I may as well use a Mount Everest-like icon for this walking challengeI thought I may as well use a Mount Everest-like icon for this walking challenge

My workflow:

Spoiler
Using formula tools for spatial data is quite usefulUsing formula tools for spatial data is quite useful

Notes:

Spoiler
I intentionally did not plot participant 5 as that person has not walked at all. First generate some data by walking the walk and then you may do the talk (:
shnbrb
7 - Meteor

Nice to tackle a spatial challenge as I don't really use these tools often! can't work out how my text went green though - it is set to black in the config!?

Spoiler
166.PNG
alex
11 - Bolide

I added a line graph to track the participant progress as well. 

Chart.JPG

Spoiler
workflow.JPGmap.JPG
EricR

Not as pretty or well labeled as some of the others, but it's complete.

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.

ConradW
8 - Asteroid

completed

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I really enjoy the spatial exercises. Spent way more time on this than I probably should have, mostly playing with the Report Map tool. Also I added a date filter with a Map interface tool so I could watch the progress of the participants.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

When you think about it - 500 miles is a long way to walk for someone...

500Miles.jpg

Here's the tracking chart for our participants:

SolutionMap.png

Spoiler

Here's the solution:
- This relies on ordering the points in the route; then doing a distance check between each two; then doing a running total (i.e. the distance of each point from the start along the route)
- Then cross-join all the participants against all the points (with their distances)
- Then find the closest one point to that distance

FlowPic.png

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

@shnbrb - it's pretty weird that the default map label is green text with a thick black outline! That's definitely the first thing I change when I make a map. To change it, just set the text color to black (or whatever you like). You can also remove the outline (if desired) by setting the size to zero.

clipboard_image_0.png