Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #166: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - at Inspire

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution. Once again the weekly challenge was an opportunity to practise tools, I rarely use in daily business.

Spoiler
workflow.png

map.png

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Nice challenge... learned a new tool!

Spoiler
challenge_166_map.jpg
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Excellent Challenge.  I got to hone my report map making skills.  

Progress.png

Spoiler
For the first time, I find myself in the situation where I used an iterative macro and almost everyone else used Append fields to find the closest node.  Normally the situation is reversed.  Ah well...same nail, different hammer.

MainMain

MacroMacro

Dan

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

As with @NicoleJohnson , I am too late to begin my trek from NY, so I'll have to take to the skies. Can't wait to meet you in Nashville!! 

Spoiler
image.pngimage.png

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Wow, this is why Weekly Challenges are awesome... I'm learning so much from everyone else's submissions (and I'm the one who made up the challenge!)

@NicoleJohnson  - I might shamelessly steal your labeling idea for my "production" version of the challenge tracker... I have been jittering the markers for participants that are nearly tied, but I have been handling overlapping labels by manually adjusting the label position.

@kelsey_kincaid  - way to jump into spatial! If you haven't already, check out the interactive lessons. I found them super helpful when I was getting started with spatial!

@cgoodman3 - I like how you labeled the connectors going into the map tool! I recently found that feature by accident, and this is a perfect use case. I'm totally going to add this to my "production" workflow!

@shaynie - welcome to Weekly Challenges! Warning: they're addictive... I definitely had to do a lot of trial and error on the label formatting, and I'm hoping to learn some new tricks from others, too!

For those of you who are getting different distances, here is a hint:

Spoiler
The solution uses the distance along the path, rather than the straight distance from the starting point.

challenge_166_hint.png
cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Here is my solution! Loved listening to this song while jamming out! Even made a Pandora station to get all the similar songs!

Spoiler
I actually took a different approach from the other submissions. I created a macro that creates a line to each point (including all points leading up to each point) and then calculated the distance to each node. I then looked at those distances to compare to where each person would fall on the line. It also matched back to the desired output.
Challenge 166.PNGChallenge 166 - macro.PNG

I also spent way too much time making my chart look better (still not the best it could be)
Challenge 166 - map.PNG

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@cplewis90 that's the spirit! Also, who knew The Proclaimers were twins?!

DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

My solution:

Spoiler
Flow.PNGMap.PNG
cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@JoeM I had no idea until now! Learn something new everyday!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Spoiler
This is as close as I could get the map without spending too much time on it. 
Challenge_0166-CharlieS_Solution.png