Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA
SOLVED

Challenge #163: Caesar Cipher (on the way to Kryptos)

Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

Hi All,

My submission!

-I think that the only difference between my submission and others is that I took the Cypher right from the Wikipedia page and then tokenized it from there...

-Cheers!

Matt

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think this is what you are looking for!

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

I really love working these out on my own and then looking at how others handled the problem to see new approaches.

My first take at this was a little clunky but worked by generating a row for each letter in the original message and then applying the rotation, then using the crosstab to put the rows back into a column.

After looking at some of the other responses I realized that the regexp -tokenize was a more efficient approach with summary to pull everything back together.

shnbrb
7 - Meteor

Spoiler
Solution 163 p1.PNGSolution 163 p2.PNG

Here is my solution, used Join+Union (to bring back spaces & punctuation etc) rather than Find & Replace used in other solutions. Preferred to use a Letter mapping rather than Char to Int as you also need to account for the Unicode integer.

Thanks!

simons
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
Challenge163.PNG
kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

These cryptography challenges are so much fun! This one reminded me of having a "secret language" with my friends in middle school, so we could write notes in class (it was just a simple substitution cipher).

Spoiler
First, the macro... It takes inputs of a string, the shift direction (right or left), and the shift value (number of positions, 1-25)...  I should probably simplify that formula:

challenge_163_macro.PNG

The outer workflow for parts 1 and 2:
challenge_163_workflow.PNG

Solution to part 1 (ha ha):
challenge_163_answer.PNG

Solution to part 2 (assuming a right shift):
challenge_163_part2_output.PNG

NatSnook
8 - Asteroid

solution attached thanks 

NilsM
8 - Asteroid

please find my solution attached

Carlithian
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Really interesting :) love deciphering codes

Need to make this a macro but this is where I got to

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Really enjoyed that one. Did Part 1 normally and then converted it into a batch macro to get the correct message from Part 2.

Spoiler
challenge_163_macro.PNG
Spoiler
challenge_163.PNG