Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA
SOLVED

Challenge #163: Caesar Cipher (on the way to Kryptos)

Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

Hi All,

My submission!

-I think that the only difference between my submission and others is that I took the Cypher right from the Wikipedia page and then tokenized it from there...

-Cheers!

Matt

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think this is what you are looking for!

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

I really love working these out on my own and then looking at how others handled the problem to see new approaches.

My first take at this was a little clunky but worked by generating a row for each letter in the original message and then applying the rotation, then using the crosstab to put the rows back into a column.

After looking at some of the other responses I realized that the regexp -tokenize was a more efficient approach with summary to pull everything back together.

shnbrb
7 - Meteor

Spoiler
Solution 163 p1.PNGSolution 163 p2.PNG

Here is my solution, used Join+Union (to bring back spaces & punctuation etc) rather than Find & Replace used in other solutions. Preferred to use a Letter mapping rather than Char to Int as you also need to account for the Unicode integer.

Thanks!

simons
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
Challenge163.PNG
kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

These cryptography challenges are so much fun! This one reminded me of having a "secret language" with my friends in middle school, so we could write notes in class (it was just a simple substitution cipher).

Spoiler
First, the macro... It takes inputs of a string, the shift direction (right or left), and the shift value (number of positions, 1-25)...  I should probably simplify that formula:

challenge_163_macro.PNG

The outer workflow for parts 1 and 2:
challenge_163_workflow.PNG

Solution to part 1 (ha ha):
challenge_163_answer.PNG

Solution to part 2 (assuming a right shift):
challenge_163_part2_output.PNG

NatSnook
8 - Asteroid

solution attached thanks 

NilsM
8 - Asteroid

please find my solution attached

Carlithian
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Really interesting :) love deciphering codes

Need to make this a macro but this is where I got to

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Really enjoyed that one. Did Part 1 normally and then converted it into a batch macro to get the correct message from Part 2.

Spoiler
challenge_163_macro.PNG
Spoiler
challenge_163.PNG