community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #161: Triangles, Triangles, Triangles

Asteroid

@JoeM, @CharlieS

Interesting Challenge!

Asteroid

My solution. Took much longer than usual to solve: I had the right picture but with 540 triangles. Had to read others' comments to come up with the right final filer. 

Spoiler
challenge 161 solution Eleonora Nazander.JPG
Comet

Here's my solution:

Spoiler
Challenge 161.PNG
Pulsar
Pulsar
Spoiler
Took a minute to think through how to get rid of the duplicate triangles that had all the same points but in a different order.

Capture.PNG
Quasar

Fun challenge. I got 540 triangles, probably because some very thin triangles should be counted as collinear.

Asteroid

Interesting challenge!

Quasar

My solution is oh so very long and clunky, nowhere near as elegant as @TerryT 's solution...

I also went with looking at direction between the points and thus ended up with an additional 3 tiny triangles.

Spoiler
Challenge #161.PNG
Asteroid

I took the non-colinear points to mean no points of the triangle share a lat/long - so I ended up with 184 unique triangles, kind of mesmerizing.  

Meteor
Spoiler
challenge_166_start_Aster.png

I used "No equal degree of line" rule in ruling out col-linear dots and ended up with 535 triangles.

I suppose it's the spatial projection issue and this is within acceptance range?

Alteryx Certified Partner

Here's my solution

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-06-23 at 19.06.06.png