community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #161: Triangles, Triangles, Triangles

Asteroid

I used a non-macro approach, mainly relying on the geometrical rules. I initially had 544 instead of 516. The difference is due to very thin triangles. So it is an interesting case of which tolerance level to set to test for linearity.

Fireball

Interesting! I definitely never would have thought to use that method for creating the triangle shapes (or for finding unique combos!) My method was definitely more steps (but works).

Spoiler
I initially tried to exclude invalid triangles (where the points were all collinear) by using the side lengths, but spatial length/area don't work because these are lat/lons rather than cartesian coordinates!

challenge_161_workflow.PNGchallenge_161_output_triangles.PNG

Great challenge! So many different ways to solve.

Alteryx
Alteryx

Nice one!

Not sure why people are filtering out small triangles at the end. I have used...

Spoiler
the Spatial Info tool to tell polygons (i.e. triangles) from lines and I get 540 triangles!
GC161.JPG

Alteryx Certified Partner

Challenge Completed 

Alteryx
Alteryx

Some clever logic required!

Thanks to @CharlieS for fun challenge

giphyI do love a great Spatial

So all though this was super fun, I did have some minor challenges with it

Spoiler
My result does not completely match the provided output, and I cannot quite figure out how to match it 100%, but I do get 516 unique triangles
2019-04-29 16_29_54-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_161_solution_verakso.yxmd.pngMy WorklowAs mentioned there is a difference

2019-04-29 16_30_32-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_161_solution_verakso.yxmd.pngThe Provided Result2019-04-29 16_30_52-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_161_solution_verakso.yxmd.pngMy Result

so I guess I will have to take a look at some of the other solutions to see, it there is a more clever way to do this

Still Climbing

/Verakso

Pulsar

Really fun challenge!!

Spoiler
Had to wrap my head around how to get the points connected in a unique way, and then the ideas flew quickly.

Decided to go the non-spatial tool route to practice spatial formulae. The workflow:
image.png

Lots of triangles!
image.png

Very nice challenge. I got my 516 triangles

Spoiler
Challenge 161 - Capture.PNGwf
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
alteryx2.PNG