Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #161: Triangles, Triangles, Triangles

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Here's my solution. Had a lot of fun playing with various sorts on the final data set, trying to figure out how to match the image (area, min X, min Y in ascending and descending order). Came up with some interesting patterns, especially the last two which are sorted on area in ascending and descending order. But I couldn't find the sort order that matched the image.

Triangles.jpg

Also learned a few interesting things looking at the solution:

Spoiler
I didn't realize you could do comparisons on polygons. I thought that Alteryx was comparing the underlying GeoJSON so the order of the points would matter. Apparently it's smarter than that, which makes the problem a lot simpler. Another thing that makes my workflow longer is that I tried to stick to what I thought was the spirit of the exercise and use spatial tools instead of formulas whenever possible.

Martyn
9 - Comet
Spoiler
clipboard_image_0.png
CliffordC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

rougeau14
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
clipboard_image_0.png

My associate @CharlieS came up with this one!

bnelly1987
8 - Asteroid

Solution-Challenge 161.PNG

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

Definitely not an optimal solution, but, hey, it works!

Spoiler
image.png
meganhan
7 - Meteor

garthn555
8 - Asteroid

The extra 21 objects (537-516) seem to be true triangles - the nulls are lines. (I added collinear test records to check). So does that mean if 3 collinear points are used in st_createpolygon that it won't produce a spatial object?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@garthn555 wrote:

The extra 21 objects (537-516) seem to be true triangles - the nulls are lines. (I added collinear test records to check). So does that mean if 3 collinear points are used in st_createpolygon that it won't produce a spatial object?

Yes, 3 perfectly collinear spatial points will yield "ST_CreatePolygon: Failed to form valid polygon."

That being said, the issue with this scenario is introduced by the Make Grid tool and the issues of plotting a flat plane to a curved surface. The grid points are not technically collinear, but practically they are, and therein lies the issue. 

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I was stuck for the longest time at 540 triangles before I peeked at the solution to see that the area tolerance was set to > .1 sq miles.

My solution:

Spoiler
Capture1.JPGCapture.JPG