Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #161: Triangles, Triangles, Triangles

NancyS
8 - Asteroid

@JoeM, @CharlieS

Interesting Challenge!

Eleonora
8 - Asteroid

My solution. Took much longer than usual to solve: I had the right picture but with 540 triangles. Had to read others' comments to come up with the right final filer. 

Spoiler
challenge 161 solution Eleonora Nazander.JPG
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution:

Spoiler
Challenge 161.PNG
Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Took a minute to think through how to get rid of the duplicate triangles that had all the same points but in a different order.

Capture.PNG
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Fun challenge. I got 540 triangles, probably because some very thin triangles should be counted as collinear.

princejindal
9 - Comet

Interesting challenge!

kat
12 - Quasar

My solution is oh so very long and clunky, nowhere near as elegant as @TerryT 's solution...

I also went with looking at direction between the points and thus ended up with an additional 3 tiny triangles.

Spoiler
Challenge #161.PNG
Ozzy_Campos
8 - Asteroid

I took the non-colinear points to mean no points of the triangle share a lat/long - so I ended up with 184 unique triangles, kind of mesmerizing.  

Aster
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
challenge_166_start_Aster.png

I used "No equal degree of line" rule in ruling out col-linear dots and ended up with 535 triangles.

I suppose it's the spatial projection issue and this is within acceptance range?

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-06-23 at 19.06.06.png