Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #161: Triangles, Triangles, Triangles

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I used a non-macro approach, mainly relying on the geometrical rules. I initially had 544 instead of 516. The difference is due to very thin triangles. So it is an interesting case of which tolerance level to set to test for linearity.

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Interesting! I definitely never would have thought to use that method for creating the triangle shapes (or for finding unique combos!) My method was definitely more steps (but works).

Spoiler
I initially tried to exclude invalid triangles (where the points were all collinear) by using the side lengths, but spatial length/area don't work because these are lat/lons rather than cartesian coordinates!

challenge_161_workflow.PNGchallenge_161_output_triangles.PNG

AmandaCarew
6 - Meteoroid

Great challenge! So many different ways to solve.

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Nice one!

Not sure why people are filtering out small triangles at the end. I have used...

Spoiler
the Spatial Info tool to tell polygons (i.e. triangles) from lines and I get 540 triangles!
GC161.JPG

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed 

LukeM

Some clever logic required!

Verakso
11 - Bolide

Thanks to @CharlieS for fun challenge

I do love a great SpatialI do love a great Spatial

So all though this was super fun, I did have some minor challenges with it

Spoiler
My result does not completely match the provided output, and I cannot quite figure out how to match it 100%, but I do get 516 unique triangles
My WorklowMy WorklowAs mentioned there is a difference

The Provided ResultThe Provided ResultMy ResultMy Result

so I guess I will have to take a look at some of the other solutions to see, it there is a more clever way to do this

Still Climbing

/Verakso

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Really fun challenge!!

Spoiler
Had to wrap my head around how to get the points connected in a unique way, and then the ideas flew quickly.

Decided to go the non-spatial tool route to practice spatial formulae. The workflow:
image.png

Lots of triangles!
image.png
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Very nice challenge. I got my 516 triangles

Spoiler
wfwf
dimark
5 - Atom
Spoiler