Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #161: Triangles, Triangles, Triangles

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My plan to get the linear ones out didn't exactly work...but I found a workaround!

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Here my solution, nice challenge!

Spoiler
challenge161.PNG
In order to have the unique 516 triangles, I gave a number to each point (starting value is 101), so I can multiply the three values and have a unique number per triangle (as I'm starting in 101, there won't be any number representing two different triangles, there will be always a unique number per triangle):

challenge161_2.PNG
challenge161_3.PNG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Fun Challenge!  Thanks for the idea @CharlieS  

As for the tiny triangles, they would be collinear if drawn on a flat plane, as CharlieS mentioned, but since they're mapped to a sphere, they end up having a small area.  Here's a plot of the 24 thin ones

thin ones.png

Here's one of vertical ones zoomed in 

width.png

The length(height) of this triangle is 19.3 km, but it's width is only .008 KM. 

Spoiler
WF.png

Dan

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

This was a fun one... I have the same number of items but not exactly the same order so the drawing is a bit different.

Spoiler
challenge 161 result.png
sprodger
8 - Asteroid

my solution:

Spoiler
challenge_161_solution_SP.JPG
pjdit
8 - Asteroid

My Solution.  had to remove the small ones, but did get the 516.  also made some pretty pictures in the process of trial and error..  :-)

Spoiler
Challenge_161_Spoiler.JPG
Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

Nicole,

I was thinking the same thing in that non-collinear would mean the opposite of Collinear, which is usually defined as all points on the same line. Furthermore, when dealing with modeling, co-llinear is generally referred to as non-desired trait in a model as you likely have two variables that that are essentially the same, just changed by a scalar. A good example would be weight and volume. If you have the volume of water in Gallons in your model and you have the Weight in pounds, you will have two variables that are Collinear (Water weighs 8.5 lbs per gallon assuming the temperature stays the same). With geometry, I understood the definition of a Triangle to mean that it was Non-Collinear in nature...

-This lead me to originally think that I would have to find all combination possibilities and then eliminate those that were CO-Linnear.

Anyway, semantics aside, I had a hard time with this one, as i had to peek at others examples, as I got stuck with way more than 516 Triangles.

Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

My Submission...Very Messy, as you are forewarned!

-Cheers!

Reese

Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

Pasccout,

Excellent Workflow that you have there!

-I had a few questions regarding the Sort and Subsequent Multi-Row Formula.

-Why is the Sort Required for the Workflow to run? What changes as I got stuck with something like 1800 Triangles...

-Multi-Row Formula with OrderID: I really like the idea of the Internal Order piece as I think that is a great method of having a Grouped Id for all kinds of applications.

-Cheers!

Matt

DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Fun challenge! 

My solution: