Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #160: Diamonds R Forever

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution to last week's challenge can be found here

Happiest of birthdays to those of you born in the month of April!  Did you know that the diamond is this month's birthstone?  To celebrate, analyze a dataset to count the number of diamonds that fall within a range of carat weights. 

The zip file below contains the file BigDiamonds.rda.  Use the R tool to read in the data to use in Designer.  You may find this article helpful for this challenge! 

Note: Make sure you have your Predictive tools installed!

Happy Birthday from the shiniest of diamonds...Neil Diamond.Happy Birthday from the shiniest of diamonds...Neil Diamond.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG

unzip("%Engine.WorkflowDirectory%BigDiamonds.zip", exdir="%Engine.WorkflowDirectory%Data")
load("%Engine.WorkflowDirectory%Data\\BigDiamonds.Rda")
write.Alteryx(diamondsbig,1)
pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Took me some time to figure out how to read the actual content of the output and not just the name of the file but here it is!

nwhaley
5 - Atom
Spoiler
weekly_challenge.JPG

Solution attached. Also quickly explored how avg. price varies between certification agencies...wow.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I'm forever the R-soul.

Spoiler
Challenge 160 - Capture.PNG

kat
12 - Quasar

Challenging!

Spoiler
Challenge #160.PNG
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

The R tool was very frustrating, until I realized that my slashes were in the wrong direction. User error strikes again!

Then just wanted to group the carats like I found in the diamond charts, so my formula tool differs a bit from othersimage.png

Not entirely sure I understand what I did with the R tool, other than get it to function, so something new to learn just dropped!!!

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

First-time used the R tool and finally managed to bring the data to the workflow. Afterwards it seems easy and straightforward ...

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

24 diamonds above 8 carats.  Sweet Caroline, indeed!

Spoiler
WF.png

Dan

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar
Spoiler
Challenge 160.PNG
Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com