Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA
SOLVED

Challenge #159: April ENcyptanalytics

AbiramiJothi
7 - Meteor

Spoiler
Spoiler.PNG

Made my Monday,  Thanks for this one.

Sample Results.PNG

Best,

Abi

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Solution attached.

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflow
sprodger
8 - Asteroid

my solution:

Spoiler
challenge_159_solution_SP.JPG
TerryT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@estherb47,  I had to look it up, but was definitely worth the giggle! 

https://vimeo.com/107786640

Thanks!

The amazing Mrs. G reading from BJ Novak's new book, kids love this part!
kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Wow, this one was super fun.

First, I started out with some investigation of the data from Challenge 155:

Spoiler
challenge_159_investigation.PNG

* Oddly enough, the A (capital A, code 65) did not occur at all in the challenge 155 data??

* For each position within the string, the correct character occurred in that position about 5x as frequently as any other character (for example, character 1 was the correct character about 5% of the time, while other characters occurred about 1% of the time)

challenge_159_chart.PNG

My solution:

Spoiler
I built an app that receives a string and number of sample strings from the user:

challenge_159_form.PNG

The outer workflow checks to make sure the user has selected a number of strings that is at least 10x the length of the string.

challenge_159_app_workflow.PNG

If the number of strings is appropriate, then the macro runs. This is a separate macro 1) to prevent running the Simulation Sampling tool unless the number of strings passes the 10x test, and 2) to allow the user to dynamically input the number of iterations (strings).

The macro creates [number of strings] * [length of input string] random characters, from 32 to 130. If the random character is between 32 and 126, the related ASCII character is used. If the random character is between 127 and 130, then the correct character for the position is used (giving the correct character 4 additional "chances").
challenge_159_macro.PNG

The Simulation Sampling tool seems slower vs. using Generate Rows to create the number of characters with a Formula tool to generate the random character.

Also, the Simulation Sampling tool doesn't allow a uniform discrete distribution (it only has the option for a uniform continuous distribution). I compensated by sampling between 32.0 and 130.999999 and rounding down to the nearest integer.

Finally, example output:

Spoiler
challenge_159_example_output.PNG

Wouter
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

Spoiler
challenge 159.jpg
Verakso
11 - Bolide

I remember challenge (#155) and that was fun.

This one was tough though, so my solution ain't pretty, but I got to the result in the end

giphy (1).gif

Spoiler
So I hade the same idea as many others, to create some random data, and make sure, that the string we actually want to hide, is having the most occurrences.

Well, after some time back and forth, I ended up with this.
My WorkflowMy WorkflowIt ain't pretty but it works.

After I made it, I looked at some of the other solutions, and then I was ashamed, so I didn't even bother to make this as an app 😢

But it was still fun after all 😳

Still Climbing

/Verakso

TerryT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Verakso,

You solved it!  You shared it!  We all learn!

I've gotta admit I've learned and improved my solution based on other solutions as well!

It's what makes Alteryx Community great!!!  <3

Thanks!

Terry T

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Interesting Challenge

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Solution attached.