Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #154: Permute the Data

ai_zahran
5 - Atom

My solution for the challenge, although I admit I feel it is overshooting the problem.

etzele
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution. It works with different toggle options but not with different tool options (yet). Maybe it works when I add an interative macro.

Spoiler
solution.PNG

Sebenius
8 - Asteroid

a messy solution this week. with a bad base X macro that will create more problem then when it solve but wanted to get somethign in before the weekend.

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflowBaseX MacroBaseX Macro
GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Loved it! Brought me back to ... 

Spoiler
binary representations!

Here's my dynamic solution:

154.JPG

JamesMA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Tough challenge. I have a solution although it is not very dynamic.

Spoiler

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fun excercise @MarqueeCrew !

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

This one was deceptively challenging! At first, I questioned the Advanced tag, but realized there was more to it than I anticipated. It's interesting to see the different ways everyone has solved this.

Spoiler
* Use the Generate Rows tool to create a row per scenario ([Tools]^[States] scenarios)
* Create a row for each scenario/tool
* Use a formula to identify the state for each row

challenge_154_workflow.png

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution! I chose to create an app that would allow a user to enter their own choices for tools and their states. I then used an iterative macro to create the combinations for any number of tools/states. 

Spoiler
AppParameter.JPGAppResults.JPG

Originally, I tried to do a batch macro within an iterative macro - seemed like it should work, but couldn't get it to iterate, so I went with a different approach for just an iterative macro instead. Key tools in both the workflow and the iterative macro are Transpose & Cross-Tab, Multi-Row Formula, and the Append tool.

WeeklyChallenge154.JPG

Cheers!

NJ

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I can't take much credit for this one; 6 months ago I was working on a client project with a very similar challenge, assessing fuelling options on a route (you either stop or you don't), with the objective to reduce total fuel cost by stopping at the cheapest locations.

@PhilipMannering stepped in and built the permutations solution for me which I've adopted here so it can be shared (Y)

Spoiler
2019-03-11_08-53-06.png
TylerNa
10 - Fireball

I was able to solve it but it's not a dynamic or elegant solution. Thanks for a tough challenge!

Spoiler
WC154 Permutations.png