Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #154: Permute the Data

karp
6 - Meteoroid

Here's my solution.  It's dynamic in the sense that the workflow will adjust itself based on the quantity of tools being input...in theory.  For full dynamic ability, I would have to make a dynamic append macro.  Interesting challenge, but I'm already crunched for time today :)  Actually, that was my starting thought.  Upon closer review, I summarize to get max records but ended up not using it.  The intent was to take that value for a dynamic append macro.

All that being said, my solution is still a $5 answer to a $100 question.  It works due to "On " (there's a blank in the quotes) and "Off" strings being 3 characters each.  Laziness traded for expediency I suppose!  (insert Bill Gates quote here)

Screenshot:

Spoiler

solution.PNG

kat
12 - Quasar

Not what you'd call elegant, but for today, this'll have to do

Spoiler
Challenge #154.PNG
papalow
8 - Asteroid

It is not a thing of beauty....

papalow
8 - Asteroid

T

h

a

t

i

s

f

u

n

n

y

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Made me remember my high school math.  Complex, but dynamic solution.  Should allow for any number of Option 1 or Option 2 variables.  Likely could make this much simpler, but real work using Alteryx took my time today (Data mining 126 Excel workbooks - no problem). 

Spoiler
Workflow 154.GIF
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Totally brute force here, and I want to create a more dynamic solution that can handle multiple toggles as well as multiple inputs. But it's a start.

Spoiler
image.png
JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Not very dynamic as you'll need to add an extra Append tool for each extra tool options. However, it's a relatively straightforward workflow and it works for this challenge!

Spoiler
challenge_154.PNG
Wouter
8 - Asteroid

That was fun! Here's my solution:

Spoiler
challenge 154.jpg
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution -  dynamic only regarding number of tools.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Here is my dynamic solution in a picture:

Spoiler
capture.jpg

The way it works (dynamic):

Spoiler
I compute the number of permutations and generate the number of rows necessary to create the needed on/off (or other choices) states.  By combining the options into a single string I found it a simple way to dynamically handle the options and states.

This workflow helped the user and was a fun challenge for @patrick_digan and @patrick_mcauliffe  to chat about offline.  Even @JoeM  thought that this was just a simple use of an append fields tool (before he dug into it).  But Joe's a nice guy and he put the dynamic nature of the workflow as an extra credit option.  No brute force here @estherb47.  

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.