Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #15: Warehouse Shipped Miles

ryan_b
6 - Meteoroid

Fun challenge to learn about spatial tools.

ADerbak
11 - Bolide

Wow, this one made me really think! I am not familiar with spatial tools, so this was a great way to learn them. 

Solution attached.

-AD

Spoiler
Unfortunately, I didn't realize you can define a custom Nearest Neighbor distance, so I created trade areas around the warehouses and then compared the nearest neighbors of the stores to those trade areas. After all that, I had to filter, summarize, join, calculate, and then summarize again to get a reasonable answer. Mine didn't match perfectly, but I was within a reasonable amount of miles, so I was content.

The funniest thing to me is comparing my results of ~20+ tools to some answers that had it in less than 5! Again, it was a great learning opportunity!
Inactive User
Not applicable

Here it is

kcoulon
8 - Asteroid

Challenge solved!

justynam
8 - Asteroid

My solution :-)

jut
7 - Meteor

Solution attached!

Jim7
8 - Asteroid

Here's my solution, love the Find Distance tool.

svenk
8 - Asteroid

My Solution!

arussell_DV
7 - Meteor

I had the same solution as the provided one. The only difference for me was I did not use a double for my formula calculation so my decimals differed slightly. This was a fun challenge, and having never used the alteryx spatial tools it was crazy to see the time saving ability of some of the tools versus using a traditional spatial program. 

Spoiler
workflow:
Challenge 15 workflow.PNG

output:
Challenge 15 output.PNG
justin_winter
8 - Asteroid

Wasn't totally clear that it was miles times number of items, but after that it was pretty easy!