community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Announcement | Get certified today - take the Alteryx Designer Core and Advanced exams on-demand now!

Challenge #15: Warehouse Shipped Miles

Alteryx Partner

Fun challenge to learn about spatial tools.

Asteroid

Wow, this one made me really think! I am not familiar with spatial tools, so this was a great way to learn them. 

Solution attached.

-AD

Spoiler
Unfortunately, I didn't realize you can define a custom Nearest Neighbor distance, so I created trade areas around the warehouses and then compared the nearest neighbors of the stores to those trade areas. After all that, I had to filter, summarize, join, calculate, and then summarize again to get a reasonable answer. Mine didn't match perfectly, but I was within a reasonable amount of miles, so I was content.

The funniest thing to me is comparing my results of ~20+ tools to some answers that had it in less than 5! Again, it was a great learning opportunity!
Highlighted
Meteor

Here it is

Asteroid

Challenge solved!

Asteroid

My solution :-)

Meteor

Solution attached!

Asteroid

Here's my solution, love the Find Distance tool.

Alteryx Partner

My Solution!

Meteor

I had the same solution as the provided one. The only difference for me was I did not use a double for my formula calculation so my decimals differed slightly. This was a fun challenge, and having never used the alteryx spatial tools it was crazy to see the time saving ability of some of the tools versus using a traditional spatial program. 

Spoiler
workflow:
Challenge 15 workflow.PNG

output:
Challenge 15 output.PNG
Asteroid

Wasn't totally clear that it was miles times number of items, but after that it was pretty easy!