Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #15: Warehouse Shipped Miles

ryan_b
6 - Meteoroid

Fun challenge to learn about spatial tools.

ADerbak
11 - Bolide

Wow, this one made me really think! I am not familiar with spatial tools, so this was a great way to learn them. 

Solution attached.

-AD

Spoiler
Unfortunately, I didn't realize you can define a custom Nearest Neighbor distance, so I created trade areas around the warehouses and then compared the nearest neighbors of the stores to those trade areas. After all that, I had to filter, summarize, join, calculate, and then summarize again to get a reasonable answer. Mine didn't match perfectly, but I was within a reasonable amount of miles, so I was content.

The funniest thing to me is comparing my results of ~20+ tools to some answers that had it in less than 5! Again, it was a great learning opportunity!
Inactive User
Not applicable

Here it is

kcoulon
8 - Asteroid

Challenge solved!

justynam
8 - Asteroid

My solution :-)

jut
7 - Meteor

Solution attached!

Jim7
8 - Asteroid

Here's my solution, love the Find Distance tool.

svenk
8 - Asteroid

My Solution!

arussell_DV
7 - Meteor

I had the same solution as the provided one. The only difference for me was I did not use a double for my formula calculation so my decimals differed slightly. This was a fun challenge, and having never used the alteryx spatial tools it was crazy to see the time saving ability of some of the tools versus using a traditional spatial program. 

Spoiler
workflow:
Challenge 15 workflow.PNG

output:
Challenge 15 output.PNG
justin_winter
8 - Asteroid

Wasn't totally clear that it was miles times number of items, but after that it was pretty easy!