Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #148: Rotating Century Puzzle

JEckersley
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
148.JPG
archietao
8 - Asteroid

My Solution:

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) this is a good challenge - makes you think about base 6 numbering systems...

Super impressed with @jdunkerley79 's and @estherb47  's solution (few tools - exhaust the problem space)

Result.png

Spoiler
The approach here was to think about all the combinations for 1 slice first
- In other words - take the numbers which are at the 12 O'clock position in each ring, and call them slice 0; then go round the circle in clockwise order then you'll find slice 1, 2,3,4,5
- For slice zero - you create every combination of the inner 5 rings
- Once you know slice zero - you can derive the other slices fairly easily

The trick is to figure out the combinations by generating numbers; converting using base 6 math a set of 6 digits (each from 0 to 5).    This makes it much easier than generating 1 rotation for every ring.

Once you have this, you can then do a quick lookup to find the value written on the ring, and do a simple sum.

Solution Part 1.png

Looking forward to reading the solutions from other folk.

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution... an assisted one as I couldn't have done it without peeking at @jdunkerley79 's MOD function.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 20.58.28.png
bdelarosa
8 - Asteroid

I just figured out  R1, R2 and R6 were in the correct order off the bat and R3 and R4 just needed to rotate up 1 sequence and R5 needed to rotate up 2 sequences. Patato Potato? 148solved.png

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Spoiler
iterative.PNGMainFlow.PNG
Alekh
9 - Comet

Decided to reverse-engineer it so it's probably a shorter workflow than most

Spoiler
148..png

piotrzawistowski
8 - Asteroid

My solution: rotation, Cartesian, sum and filter.

TimothyManning
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
148. Data Analysis.PNG

Pleased with myself to get this one!

It was quite difficult, but I enjoyed it. I unfortunately used 5 slightly different macros one after the other to get it to find every possible combination, but I couldn't be bothered at that point to consolidate them. Then, as I'd used a recordID + grouping in each macro, I could find the one combination where everything was in the right order. Doesn't make too much sense, but hopefully the workflow does!