community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcement | Get certified today - take the Alteryx Designer Core and Advanced exams on-demand now!
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.

Challenge #148: Rotating Century Puzzle

Meteoroid
Spoiler
148.JPG
Asteroid

My Solution:

Pulsar
Pulsar
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Aurora
Aurora

:-) this is a good challenge - makes you think about base 6 numbering systems...

Super impressed with @jdunkerley79 's and @EstherB47  's solution (few tools - exhaust the problem space)

Result.png

Spoiler
The approach here was to think about all the combinations for 1 slice first
- In other words - take the numbers which are at the 12 O'clock position in each ring, and call them slice 0; then go round the circle in clockwise order then you'll find slice 1, 2,3,4,5
- For slice zero - you create every combination of the inner 5 rings
- Once you know slice zero - you can derive the other slices fairly easily

The trick is to figure out the combinations by generating numbers; converting using base 6 math a set of 6 digits (each from 0 to 5).    This makes it much easier than generating 1 rotation for every ring.

Once you have this, you can then do a quick lookup to find the value written on the ring, and do a simple sum.

Solution Part 1.png

Looking forward to reading the solutions from other folk.

Alteryx Certified Partner

Here's my solution... an assisted one as I couldn't have done it without peeking at @jdunkerley79 's MOD function.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 20.58.28.png