Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #148: Rotating Century Puzzle

Michael1974
6 - Meteoroid

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Good puzzle.  It must take forever in physical form...you're carefully working your way through the combinations...and then your little brother comes along and spins the little wheels!  Doh!

Spoiler
Solution.png

Dan

aristiguieta
8 - Asteroid

For me the really tricky part was defining what combinations were tied to each other (i.e. if axis 1 is using a value on a certain wheel, then the axis to its right would necessarily be using the value to the right on that same wheel, etc.) and then keeping track of that ... finally got that to work.  :0)

Take a look (if you are having trouble on how to start - this may help because I always use lots of notes and descriptive labels)

:-)

KevinW
8 - Asteroid

fun - solved without a macro - I can't imagine doing this actual puzzle as I found there were 650 combinations that added up to 100!

Spoiler
my solution is a bit of a kludge/brute force - I created the string of all the options by creating numerical records from 111111 to 666666 and converted them to string.  Next I used regex to remove any records with a number not between 1 and 6 and then tokenized it to get each position in a column.  I then joined it all together, filtered on rows that summed to 100 and then looked for other rows that were the next sequence in line.
148.JPG

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Kudos to @patrick_digan@brianaburke002, and @DultonM for authoring this awesome challenge! 

This one really stretched my brain, and it was a lot of fun to solve!

My solution:

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Flexing the ol' Python skillz...

Spoiler
Python NotebookPython NotebookWorkflowWorkflow
Verakso
11 - Bolide

Had to have this done before next week, if I need to keep up with the pace.

I am not proud of this, I kind of had to brute force my solution, but after a while , I did get the result.

Spoiler

When I afterwards look at how others had solve it, I saw some that basically did the same, but it a much smarter way 😍 

Until next week, have a nice weekend

/Thomas 

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

I used iterative macro method to solve this puzzle.  Received 194 different combination of output. 

Spoiler
Puzzle workflow.PNGPuzzle macro.PNGPuzzle macro root.PNG

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks for letting us challenge the community @JoeM! Here is my solution:

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
kat
12 - Quasar

I really wanted to solve this mathematically but when staring at the pattern didn't work, I had to go macro. Edit: Basically like @jdunkerley79 did. That was the elegance I was originally going for. Nice work!!

Spoiler
append all files firstappend all files firstiterative macroiterative macro

@danilang - I'm back :) :)