Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #148: Rotating Century Puzzle

JEckersley
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
148.JPG
archietao
8 - Asteroid

My Solution:

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) this is a good challenge - makes you think about base 6 numbering systems...

Super impressed with @jdunkerley79 's and @estherb47  's solution (few tools - exhaust the problem space)

Result.png

Spoiler
The approach here was to think about all the combinations for 1 slice first
- In other words - take the numbers which are at the 12 O'clock position in each ring, and call them slice 0; then go round the circle in clockwise order then you'll find slice 1, 2,3,4,5
- For slice zero - you create every combination of the inner 5 rings
- Once you know slice zero - you can derive the other slices fairly easily

The trick is to figure out the combinations by generating numbers; converting using base 6 math a set of 6 digits (each from 0 to 5).    This makes it much easier than generating 1 rotation for every ring.

Once you have this, you can then do a quick lookup to find the value written on the ring, and do a simple sum.

Solution Part 1.png

Looking forward to reading the solutions from other folk.

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution... an assisted one as I couldn't have done it without peeking at @jdunkerley79 's MOD function.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 20.58.28.png
bdelarosa
8 - Asteroid

I just figured out  R1, R2 and R6 were in the correct order off the bat and R3 and R4 just needed to rotate up 1 sequence and R5 needed to rotate up 2 sequences. Patato Potato? 148solved.png

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Spoiler
iterative.PNGMainFlow.PNG
Alekh
9 - Comet

Decided to reverse-engineer it so it's probably a shorter workflow than most

Spoiler
148..png

piotrzawistowski
8 - Asteroid

My solution: rotation, Cartesian, sum and filter.

TimothyManning
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
148. Data Analysis.PNG

Pleased with myself to get this one!

It was quite difficult, but I enjoyed it. I unfortunately used 5 slightly different macros one after the other to get it to find every possible combination, but I couldn't be bothered at that point to consolidate them. Then, as I'd used a recordID + grouping in each macro, I could find the one combination where everything was in the right order. Doesn't make too much sense, but hopefully the workflow does!