Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #148: Rotating Century Puzzle

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This is the second time I've seen this problem... and alas, it was no easier the second time. This one definitely had my brain rotating!

Spoiler
For this workflow, I approached it with the mindset of trying to figure out the "future state" of each position combination that gave me 100... and then joining back to the original data to see if those future states existed. If it exists 6 times in the data, for each of the 6 possible positions, then those records are the winners!

WeeklyChallenge148.JPG

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these puzzle/game type challenges. So cool to see the creative ways that Alteryx can extend beyond just the day-to-day job (even if the day-to-day job also feels quite a bit like playing a game most days!)

Thanks for the super-fun-but-also-crazy-mind-bending challenge, @JoeM  @patrick_digan  @brianaburke002 @DultonM !

Cheers,

NJ

jezknee
7 - Meteor

Solved!

Ganeshkumar_4
5 - Atom

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

This was a definite challenge and require some research on some formulas, but once I learned about a few new ones, I was really able to get through this one.

Spoiler
Challenge 148.PNG
juansagasta
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Spoiler.PNG
KlemensK
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
148.PNG

After using Alteryx for like a week i wanted to try something different then my normal data and these puzzles are pretty fun to play around with and learn something new by doing them.

But after looking at the other solutions i have to say that i should better learn all the Tools that are available instead of using 4 Tools for a function that one can do.

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi @JoeM ! Here's my solution :)

Spoiler
solution_148.PNG

challenge_148.PNG
kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
This is pretty inefficient. Perhaps iterating through the solutions with a macro, where you could "throw out" the invalid solutions as you go along would be better... However, I really wanted to figure this out using formulas!

challenge_148_p1.PNG

Continued to the right...
challenge_148_p2.PNG

Detail of formula tool:
challenge_148_calcs.PNG
hfanda73
8 - Asteroid

Posted my first weekly challenge solution. It took me a while to do this as there were many options.

Hope to catch up with others.

Geoowl
7 - Meteor

a rather inelegant solution, but a solution nonetheless!