Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #146: SANTALYTICS 2018 - Part 2

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Welcome all to SANTALYTICS PART TWO!
If you are just checking out Santalytics for the first time, please read the announcement blog for the inside scoop: #SANTALYTICS 2018

In Part 1, we took a look at IRS data and invited you to help us identify a local charity. This weeks challenge is designed to replicate how we might allocate those donation dollars to serve the needs of the organization we identified - A Precious Child. One of the key focus areas of said charity is to provide basic necessities to children in need who would otherwise go without.

Community's promise in this challenge is to donate $20 per solution between 12/17-12/21 with a $2,000 max! Solving for good? Now that's something I can get on board with. What's more, your solution will almost surely change the answer to the problem. Since you are adding a solution, you will trying to solve our problem with $20 more than the previous solver.

In the great tradition of Santalytics, we do not provide a fixed answer, but will give some rules to guide you through the challenge:

1) You'll need to scrape the Community to determine the number of solutions that have been posted (for ease you can just count .yxmd/.yxzp attachments). For those who want to skip this and take the 'easy' path, a macro is attached. We realize that the number of attachments != the number of solutions, but we can pad it a little right?!
2) The number of 'solutions' * $20 will be the donated value you are working with
3) The item data set (StoreData.yxdb) has two types of items - hygiene and clothing. Try to categorize them as you think they should and make sure that you donation is split 50/50 across the two categories to make sure we aren't heavily weighted to once side
4) Make sure the items has a 4+ star rating, 10+ reviews and is in stock
5) No one item can be purchased more than 10x for diversity of donations.

After you're done, post up your solution. We might just use your solution as the shopping list!

NOTE: This will be the last challenge of 2018. We will be resuming challenges in 2019-01-07.

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Am I reading this correctly? You are donating $20 for every solution response to this challenge, or all posts marked as a solution on the community as a whole? Just want clarification before blasting this out on Twitter.

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @Treyson,

Thats a great question. To clarify, we will allocate $20* to our donation pool for each solution posted to challenge #146 from today through December 21st, 2018 (*up to a max donation of $2,000).

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

My solution,

not the best shopping list I guess, but based on the customer ratings, very fun one!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I decided to use the Lithium API to webscrape. Here is how the $20 is being spent so far (It will be $40 as soon as I post this!)
Capture.PNG
JoBen
11 - Bolide

Cheers!

Spoiler
Challenge_146_2.PNGChallenge_146_1.PNG
pjdit
8 - Asteroid

My solution with $60

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Decided to use the optimisation macro so I can maximise the overall rating of the items selected while meeting the constraints.

For the current 6 solutions ($120) here's what you should buy.

$120 solution.JPG

If we get the 100 solutions to get the $2,000 donation then the items which should be purchased are listed in the yxdb file.

Workflow

Spoiler
Santa2.JPGb

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Didn't realise you couldn't add more than one attachment, so here's the yxdb file for the 100 solution answer.

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
2018-12-18 10_43_16-Alteryx Designer x64 - Santalytics 2018.2.yxmd.png2018-12-18 10_43_31-Alteryx Designer x64 - Santalytics 2018.2.yxmd.png

I didn't know how to use "all the money", but just saw @cgoodman3 talking about an optimisation macro.  Still, it was cool that the results change as the replies are added to the post (only because I was shocked that the hygiene product was chosen when I knew the budget spend was $60, but it had changed to $70 and I hadn't realised.

Change the order in the sort if you want more products that are cheaper to buy, but I deliberately did a descending sort in order to purchase fewer items, but higher priced items