Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #145: SANTALYTICS 2018 - Part 1

LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@mbarone @mattagone @Pepper YAY ROCHESTER ALTERYX USER GROUP! Thanks for providing a solution!

Paulteryx
11 - Bolide
Spoiler

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Great challenge! 

OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

Here is my solution.  Fun one, as I have been looking for a charity in my home state to take advantage of tax credits this is also very time appropriate!

Spoiler
challenge_145_completed.jpg
STP
7 - Meteor

I definitely did more work than I needed to, but started by pulling in all the data first then figured out what I needed.

Spoiler
Way too many tools with dead endsWay too many tools with dead endsCame up with A Precious Child Inc.Came up with A Precious Child Inc.

Alekh
9 - Comet

My solution:

Spoiler
145..png

catarina_pimpao
8 - Asteroid

My solution for Part 1.

Spoiler
AWC_145.JPG

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I did the same as most, but went for separate filters.

Two reasons:

1. You can see from the annotation each step that the filter is doing, so don't have to looking into the expresssion.
  2. It's more efficient with the data.
Spoiler
Workflow.png
andyuttley
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

That's interesting @JoeS - I'd always assumed a single filter would be more efficient. Just out of interest, why do multiple filters make it more efficient?

Andy 

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@andyuttley I believe it's the way that the expression is compiled in the Alteryx Engine.

If you have them all in one filter, each record is checked against each condition. So in this example all 300K records are checked against all 6 conditions in one filter.

If you have them in separate filters records are removed from the process in a waterfall way.

It's most efficient to have your biggest remover (made up that phrase, but the condition that most records fail) as the first filter and then continue with that approach and then there will be less records for each condition to be checked against.

It's not really going to make a difference on only 300k records.

I just did some testing, 22.5 seconds on average for one filter and 21 seconds for 6 filters (in the order in the post, not the most efficient).

Which is quite considerable actually, as its the auto-field that takes most of the time in my workflow (performance profiling says 18.5 seconds).

Although, what is weird is that if you add up the individual times of the performance profiling, you get 145ms for 6 filters vs 117ms for 1 filter.

My guess here is that as the timings are so small, the actual overhead of the performance profiling added to each tool slows it down.

As the workflow consistently runs quicker with 6 filters and no performance profiling.

I found this out on processes years back with hundreds of millions of records. So we are talking really small margins with 300k records.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Santalytics!!

nerd.gif

Anyway, mine was probably similar to the others.

Spoiler
I first downloaded the raw data and the charity list from the links provided and dropped them into temporary files. The .zip file needed a bit of SQL replace magic, but nothing complicated. I then joined them on the EIN field:

Raw Data Download.PNG

I then downloaded the Data Dictionary using the same method and dynamically renamed the columns from the first row of data:

Data Dictionary Download.PNG
Then, I simply used a dynamic rename tool to take the names from the dictionary description, applied the appropriate filters and calculated the Efficiency, sorting accordingly:

Dynamic rename and finalise.PNG

And here are the results:

Results.PNG

* "Patiently" awaits the next instalment

Bulien