community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Announcement | Get certified today - take the Alteryx Designer Core and Advanced exams on-demand now!

Challenge #144: Secret Santa Assignments (BAH HUMBUG!)

Meteor

My pairings are different to the output, but less then 13 so I think it counts!

Asteroid
Spoiler
144.PNG
Asteroid

Here's my solution!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
I matched the good guys with the scrooges with sorting, splitting and a join by position

Spoiler
144.png
Asteroid
Spoiler
challenge_144_solution_justindavis.PNG

I liked this idea of rating different entities on some factor you want to balance, and setting balanced pairs. Could be used for teambuilding events.

Asteroid

I tried to make it more complicated then it needed to be and ended up coming back to the simple way:

Spoiler
clipboard_image_0.png
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.51.26 am.png
Bolide

2 iterative macro solutions using different methodologies with different but correct solutions.  First macro produces 1 result with total scroogieness index of 2 and will find more matches if the pool of individuals had higher scoogieness numbers than the example.

Spoiler
144 A version.JPG144 A Macro

Macro A seeks to match highest scroogieness person to another person that would bring total index as close to 13.

144 B version.JPG144 B Macro

Macro B seeks to match highest scroogieness to lowest scroogieness person available.  In certain situations Macro B may not produce as many matches as Macro A.

Tested both to ensue outputs correctly for odd number of participants.
Comet

Completing previous challenges.

Spoiler
Workflow 144.GIF