Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #144: Secret Santa Assignments (BAH HUMBUG!)

afreedman
5 - Atom

Yay!

hbraunius
8 - Asteroid

My solution attached.

FredySantana
7 - Meteor

Hi,

This challenge was funny, and I enjoyed a lot. Here is my solution. Thanks for the challenge.

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Different order than the given output but same results

Capture.PNG
Vidya26
8 - Asteroid

My Solution

Alekh
9 - Comet

I remember this being the most recent challenge available when I first began using Alteryx. I tried forever trying to solve it but couldn't. Now that I know how to do iterative macros, it was a LOT easier and even managed to get it in the exact same order as the output solution. Definitely a milestone challenge for me.

Spoiler
144..png

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

OK – I spent way too long on this one.
I must admit – did this 5 different ways before looking at other people’s solutions and was super embarrassed by just how elegant @patrick_digan ; @vsoni ; @jdunkerley79  etc solutions were. 

I threw everything at this - location optimizer; batch; iterative - they all worked for a subset, but not for the 50...   Guess that's the pain of NP Complete type algorithms.

Welcome to the weekly challenges @LeahNeuenkirchen !

Spoiler

(did an iterative solution like @CHarrison ; @JoBen ;  @kat ; @cgoodman3 – and similarly to @CHarrison  didn’t get a result after 10 000 iterations - but if I strip these down to a smaller number of people they all work)

The genius of the simple mentiod other people provided is that you just d

Solutions used:
1: Simple chain - match each person to the next in the list in a ring, ignoring scrooginess
Solution1.png

2: then location optimizer to find matches within the scrooginess threshold
- This one is a random process by definition and with 50 items this is a huge solution space to find a solution randomly.

Solution2.png
3: Then did a random-try batch macro
4: then an iterative macro
5: then an iterative macro with a reduced match set to eliminate known bad matches

6: finally - did the 50% list split like the wise folk mentioned above

Even though these didn't work on the full data set - still a great practice for different kinds of macros!

anaibeth
8 - Asteroid

Took the beginners approach, and it still shameful but it works lol. Baby steps!image.png

bjangelloz
5 - Atom

Over thought it but glad the data is perfect or else we would have more trouble with the simpler solutions!

IvyM
7 - Meteor