Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #144: Secret Santa Assignments (BAH HUMBUG!)

rfergus
8 - Asteroid

Simple first pass solution with minimal tools. Only saw one other use this same method. It works for this data set, but might not if there is a different balance of scroogieness. Might be time to learn macros.

Spoiler
image.png
nitinpatkar1984
7 - Meteor

Catching up!!

Samuel_To
10 - Fireball

Hi @JoeM ,

Here is my solution. 

Best Regards,

Samuel

Carlithian
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Finally getting round to submitting my answer even though I suggested it XD

Spoiler

I chose to have two workflows, the first which would allow people to opt in if they wanted to participate (and also put down a Christmas wish) these were saved to a yxdb and a second to be ran to allocate out across those opted in. Worked really well in the office :)

cbrettlockard
7 - Meteor

I know I'm way late to the game, and therefore the Secret Santa theme isn't as timely, but this looked like fun, so I decided to go ahead and tackle it.  I ended up with a different set of matches than the included solution (1 the same, but the other 25 different), but I believe my solution meets the criteria.  However, I'm not 100% sure my solution is foolproof, if some higher scroogieness scores made a solution harder to come by.

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

My solution :)

Spoiler
challenge_144.PNG
dicky5150
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

My first attempt at a challenge ! Enjoyed it !

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Ah the scrooginess! I may be somewhat high on the scrooge scale as I always tell my wife Christmas music is reserved for Christmas day

Spoiler
Challenge 144.PNG
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Unless I missed something, this was probably the simplest of the beginner-rated challenges that I've seen. My solution is similar to Patrick Digan's.

Spoiler
Sort the list by Scrooginess. Use the sample tool to split the first half and last half into separate data sets, then reverse the sort on one half and do a join on record positions. Sum the two scroogieness columns. You'll have unique pairings and the lowest set of pair values
hanykowska
11 - Bolide

not a very flexible solution but it does the job