Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #144: Secret Santa Assignments (BAH HUMBUG!)

mlacayo2
5 - Atom

quick solution. Accounts for the cases where there may be more than 50 people. 

NatSnook
8 - Asteroid

Hi All

I have done 2 solutions after a bit of googling :)

the first is purely random discounting the scroogieness rating, the second takes the scroogieness into account but loses it's random assignment.

Happy holidays.

Seretonelli
5 - Atom

a bit late, and not that perfect but here is mine and it seems to work :)

pjdit
8 - Asteroid

My Solution..  fairly simple and straight forward, but it works for both challenges

Spoiler
Challenge_144_Spoiler.JPG
prislam
8 - Asteroid

Spoiler
Challenge 144 Pris Lam.PNG

This is my first attempt at an Alteryx weekly challenge :)

add9880
7 - Meteor

My 1st weekly challenge solution..!

Lunalight
7 - Meteor

Not the most efficient solution when I look through some of the other solutions

Verakso
11 - Bolide

Working my way backwards from Santalytics, and my solution might also seem backwards, but here it is

Spoiler
Scroogieness calculationScroogieness calculationI quite haven't grasped iterative macros, and that have to wait for another day.
This seems luckily to be resolved rather simple by splitting the dataset, reverse and merge, and by the help of the Christmas Spirit, it would seem that it matches the result provided,

Happy Holidays

Thomas

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Wow, that was a lot of fun!

My solution:

Spoiler

GREAT exercise for Interative Macros!

I went down the thought process (as some other users did) of making 50 pairs, but in the end I solved both ways.

For my solution, I created all the possible permutations, filtered for scroogieness and self-selection, and fed the result into an iterative macro. My first attempt ran about 20,000 times without satisfying the scroogieness clause, so I ended up sorting by scrooginess and matching the scroogiest people first. Not truly random, but close enough for a Secret Santa!

Capture.PNG

Thanks @Carlithian for an awesome challenge!

EW
11 - Bolide

I think mine could have been more elegant, but it seems to work!

Spoiler
EW_144.PNG