community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.

Challenge #142: Life Certainties - Workflows, Death, and Taxes

Alteryx Certified Partner

Not sure I'd call this the "easy" way, but great challenge!

Spoiler
Spoiler_142.png

Comet

Hi,

funny one, wanted to go the easy way first but ended up doing it the hard way :)

Quasar

Looks like @NicoleJohnson and I had very similar thinking here. Eliminating certain tools gives things an interesting spin.. :)

Spoiler
Challenge #142 macro.PNGbatch macro to the rescue!Challenge #142.PNG

@ggruccio I like what you did with the concat, gives me an idea!

Asteroid

Just the easy way for now

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Meteor
Spoiler
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 3.24.37 PM.png
Given the "Hard Way" constraint, Dynamic Replace is arguably the best straight-line approach here. However, if comprehension were a measure, Dynamic Replace is second to none in complicating the simple.

@JoeM I think I know where you were going with introducing a new tool.  I couldn't help myself, Dynamic Replace to the rescue. 

Spoiler
Spoiler_142 Hard.png
Sr. Learning Strategy Manager
Sr. Learning Strategy Manager

@GarthMiles @DataPrepChad, you guys went the direction I was hoping to see someone try out! Lots of variety this week!

Asteroid

Finally used a tool that I've seen a ton but haven't had the opportunity to use. Made the hard way quite a bit easier!

Spoiler
WC142 Tax Brackets.pngArrange Tool FTW
Meteor

Ugh, @JoeM...I loathe the Dynamic Replace tool (mostly 'cuz I still need the help doc to guide me through setting it up).

The best advice I ever received for configuring this tool is to write out the "Boolean" and "Output" expressions in 2 (or more) Multi-Field Formula tools (1 expression per "multi-field" tool) to check that the syntax+logic make sense.

Then...copy/paste those expressions into a Formula tool (1 for "boolean", 1 for "output", etc.) and wrap'em in quotes.

Once everything works as expected...run garbage collection (i.e., delete all multi-field tools from canvas) and pretend you worked through it all in your head!!