Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #142: Life Certainties - Workflows, Death, and Taxes

DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

Not sure I'd call this the "easy" way, but great challenge!

Spoiler
Spoiler_142.png

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

funny one, wanted to go the easy way first but ended up doing it the hard way :)

kat
12 - Quasar

Looks like @NicoleJohnson and I had very similar thinking here. Eliminating certain tools gives things an interesting spin.. :)

Spoiler
batch macro to the rescue!batch macro to the rescue!Challenge #142.PNG
DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

@ggruccio I like what you did with the concat, gives me an idea!

SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Just the easy way for now

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
GarthMiles
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 3.24.37 PM.png
Given the "Hard Way" constraint, Dynamic Replace is arguably the best straight-line approach here. However, if comprehension were a measure, Dynamic Replace is second to none in complicating the simple.

DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

@JoeM I think I know where you were going with introducing a new tool.  I couldn't help myself, Dynamic Replace to the rescue. 

Spoiler
Spoiler_142 Hard.png
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@GarthMiles @DataPrepChad, you guys went the direction I was hoping to see someone try out! Lots of variety this week!

TylerNa
10 - Fireball

Finally used a tool that I've seen a ton but haven't had the opportunity to use. Made the hard way quite a bit easier!

Spoiler
Arrange Tool FTWArrange Tool FTW
GarthMiles
7 - Meteor

Ugh, @JoeM...I loathe the Dynamic Replace tool (mostly 'cuz I still need the help doc to guide me through setting it up).

The best advice I ever received for configuring this tool is to write out the "Boolean" and "Output" expressions in 2 (or more) Multi-Field Formula tools (1 expression per "multi-field" tool) to check that the syntax+logic make sense.

Then...copy/paste those expressions into a Formula tool (1 for "boolean", 1 for "output", etc.) and wrap'em in quotes.

Once everything works as expected...run garbage collection (i.e., delete all multi-field tools from canvas) and pretend you worked through it all in your head!!