Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #142: Life Certainties - Workflows, Death, and Taxes

DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

Not sure I'd call this the "easy" way, but great challenge!

Spoiler
Spoiler_142.png

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

funny one, wanted to go the easy way first but ended up doing it the hard way :)

kat
12 - Quasar

Looks like @NicoleJohnson and I had very similar thinking here. Eliminating certain tools gives things an interesting spin.. :)

Spoiler
batch macro to the rescue!batch macro to the rescue!Challenge #142.PNG
DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

@ggruccio I like what you did with the concat, gives me an idea!

SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Just the easy way for now

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
GarthMiles
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 3.24.37 PM.png
Given the "Hard Way" constraint, Dynamic Replace is arguably the best straight-line approach here. However, if comprehension were a measure, Dynamic Replace is second to none in complicating the simple.

DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

@JoeM I think I know where you were going with introducing a new tool.  I couldn't help myself, Dynamic Replace to the rescue. 

Spoiler
Spoiler_142 Hard.png
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@GarthMiles @DataPrepChad, you guys went the direction I was hoping to see someone try out! Lots of variety this week!

TylerNa
10 - Fireball

Finally used a tool that I've seen a ton but haven't had the opportunity to use. Made the hard way quite a bit easier!

Spoiler
Arrange Tool FTWArrange Tool FTW
GarthMiles
7 - Meteor

Ugh, @JoeM...I loathe the Dynamic Replace tool (mostly 'cuz I still need the help doc to guide me through setting it up).

The best advice I ever received for configuring this tool is to write out the "Boolean" and "Output" expressions in 2 (or more) Multi-Field Formula tools (1 expression per "multi-field" tool) to check that the syntax+logic make sense.

Then...copy/paste those expressions into a Formula tool (1 for "boolean", 1 for "output", etc.) and wrap'em in quotes.

Once everything works as expected...run garbage collection (i.e., delete all multi-field tools from canvas) and pretend you worked through it all in your head!!