community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.

Challenge #140: Prove the Birthday Paradox!

Aurora
Aurora

So - turns out that the rule of thumb is right!

2018-11-18_19-27-43.jpg

Spoiler

2018-11-18_19-26-40.jpg

Bolide

image.pngFirst time at a Monte Carlo simulation! Took a lot of trial and error to think through the logic, and not the most elegant of solutions in the end.

Spoiler
image.png
Alteryx Certified Partner

Solution attached.

Spoiler
Wasn't sure how to render the chart, so I tried Report > Chart tool. Overlooked the ScatterPlot tool.

challenge_140_spoiler.png

Asteroid
Spoiler
I started to build this with macros and the Simulation Sampling tool, but realized that it was much simpler (assuming we don't have issues with memory given the number of trials and groups). Also, the Simulation Sampling tool takes a much longer time to run!

Please excuse my old-school scatterplot, as I'm still using 2018.1...

challenge_140_scatterplot.PNGchallenge_140_workflow.PNG
Meteor

This was a fun one for my first challenge!

Spoiler
BirthdayChallenge_CSand_Screenshot1.PNGBirthdayChallenge_CSand_Screenshot2.PNG 
Meteor

This was interesting, as always!

My solution:

Spoiler
140 EW.PNGGraph EW.PNG
Alteryx Partner

When I first saw this, I immediately thought macro, but since it is not yet my force, and I am falling behind in the weekly challenge, I ended up with this

Spoiler
2018-11-26 18_22_20-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_140_start_file.yxmd_.pngThe WorkflowAlso it would seem to me, that I did manage to produce a similar scatter-plot
2018-11-26 18_23_08-.pngThe chart

//Thomas

Meteor

Fun challenge!

Alteryx Certified Partner

My iterative solution

Asteroid

Challenge Completed