Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #140: Prove the Birthday Paradox!

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

Started down a macro route and then just abandoned it for the brute force method. One I'll come back to when I have more time to work the iterative macro out.

Spoiler
matching birthday.PNG

birthday scatterplot.PNG

ThoreKonrad
5 - Atom

75% @ 33

90% @ 41

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Thought it would run faster based on tests, but it worked!

Birthrate.JPG

Spoiler
My solution involved a combination of batch and iterative macros.140_a.JPG140_b.JPG140_c.JPG

OliverW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Here is my solution for this weeks challenge.

Spoiler
Went the way that one can configure how many trials they want to run, so basically I created a Batch Macro to be able to run multiple iterations of the actual process and then put this Batch macro into a regular macro where the user can directly influence the number of trials.

Final Workflow:
grafik.png

Regular Macro to influence number of Trials:
grafik.png

Batch Macro to run the actual process multiple times:
grafik.png

Hary
7 - Meteor

Hmm...I know it's not perfect.

キャプチャ.PNG

Spoiler
MainWorkflow.PNGMacro.PNG
olivia_paquot
8 - Asteroid

Done !

jparcinski
6 - Meteoroid

The program is way too slow, but I completed it using nested iterative macros. Also in bigger groups the probability rises a little bit faster and the last few observations have probability equals to 1.

Plot.PNG

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I went down the route of allowing the data to explode a little rather than the macro route.

To be above 75% chance I was getting either group size 32 or 33.

Above 90% was 41 and above.

Plot.png

Spoiler
Workflow.png
jackieheer
8 - Asteroid

OliverW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Why do you think its slow? So my solution just ran 10000 Simulations in 1:11 (as I configured mine in the way that I just have to enter how many simulations I want to run), haveing an i7 with 16gb ram, so I did not feel that was slow. The recommended 1000 it runs in 8 seconds.

By the way, I gotta say, the more simulations you run, the nicer the curve looks like, so 10000 already gives me a very nice shaped curve with almost no breakouts in between.

Spoiler
See here the curve after I just ran 50000 simulations in 8 minutes
grafik.png

Cheers

Oliver