Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #138: World Series Wins

SueDonim
8 - Asteroid

Struggled a bit, but learned quite a lot about data manipulation, and a little about RegEx

Spoiler
Bounced around with RegEx a bit, and learned some, but ultimately decided that Left functions would be easier given the different types of noise in the team data

Process:
- Cleaned up winning team and losing team data, but searching for "(" and extracting all to the left
- Repeated above by searching for "["
- Split Winning Team and Losing Team through two select tools
- Combined all teams (stacked the two) with Union tool
- 3 streams for calculations
  -- Count number of appearances per team (Grouped combined team list by team and counted instances)
  -- Count number of wins per team (Grouped winning team list by team and counted instances)
  -- Find and Replace tool to combine the columns of All teams, Count of appearances, and Count of wins
     --- Calculated ratio of wins to appearances
     --- Reformatted result to string: multiplied by 100, rounded to integer, converted to string and appended "%" (also had to replace "%" to 0% where team never won (i.e. wins was Null)
  -- Concatenated winning years (Grouped combined team list by team and concatenated years
- Find and Replace tool to combine all data
- Select tool to remove unneeded fields and rename for output

MySolution.PNG
DBourke19841
8 - Asteroid

This took me an age to figure out cleansing the team names - need to get on the Regex tool mastery sessions.

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 138 Solution.PNG
justindavis
10 - Fireball

Pesky whitespace character coming out of my regex until I utilized \b to rid myself of it. Not my fastest, by a long shot.

Spoiler
challenge_138_solution_justindavis.PNG
blundebjerg
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution

Inactive User
Not applicable

Snare
8 - Asteroid

Found this challenge and, with the start of the 2019 World Series, I thought this would be a good challenge for me to visit. I added in Boston's win over the L.A. in 2018. Looking forward to adding in the Washington/Houston outcome at the end of October.

DataTester
8 - Asteroid

gracec97
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Challenge 138.JPG
mat_budden
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Please find my Result below.

Spoiler
Split the Teams from Winning and Losing into Formula to get the Wins and rejoined with Union, Then Filtered, Into Select, 2 Summaries then Join Back and Carry the left, Cleanse, at the Percent, Select and done... Probably not the most efficient, But it works.

Thanks

Mat

Borja_Leiva
7 - Meteor

My solution