Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA
SOLVED

Challenge #135: Locker Problem

JennyMartin
9 - Comet
Spoiler
AWC135M.PNGAWC135.PNG

Really cool it's all the square numbers that are open!

JayZi
6 - Meteoroid

Mine approach with results validated!

zajaccount
9 - Comet

Two guys are in the locker room changing, and one guy puts on a pair of panties. "jeezus, when did you start wearing womens panties?" the 1st guy asks.
"Ever since my wife found them in my glove compartment!"

KGS
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Attaching Solution.

Best,

G

johnemery
11 - Bolide

Fun challenge. I'm interested in why the resulting "open" lockers have the values that they do. Some very neat mathematics going on behind the scenes here.

Spoiler
Macro Capture.PNGWorkflow Capture.PNG
balajilolla
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Solution Attached

balajilolla_0-1590872925499.png

terry10
11 - Bolide

This challenge was excellent practice! Lots of ways to solve this problem.

When I first considered this challenge, I thought of it a BATCH macro scenario. My logic for a batch macro was based on the locker number - only student numbers that are a factor of a locker number would touch that locker; in the end, lockers with an even number of factors would be left open.

Then I realized that this could also be solved without a macro, using APPEND to create a cross-product of students and lockers. But that could get big with lots more lockers.

Finally, I saw others used ITERATIVE macros, so I did that too for practice - I am intimidated by iterative macros, but this was the easiest iterative macro ever.

Spoiler
ss 135 all.PNG
ss 135 batch.PNG

ss 135 iterative.PNG

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution !

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Challenge #135 solved

Spoiler