Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #124: Air Transport Network Analysis

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For a bit of variation I chose only airports in the UK sized by betweenness with . You can see how dependent the Orkney and Shetland Island Islands on Kirkwall Airport

Airport connections within the UKAirport connections within the UK

Spoiler
Challenge 124 - Capture.PNGChallenge 124 - Capture1.PNGChallenge 124 - Capture2.PNG
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Like @ggruccio - a whole pile of trial and error - and finally came out with 275 airports.

Took me way too long to realise that there was no need to filter the "Node" input since that would just come out with degree of 0 if there were no connections!    You can see these on the chart as the circle of disconnected items around the edge!

2018-08-26_18-31-42.jpg

Great challenge @JoeM and team - thank you for giving us one that forces learning of a new tool!

Spoiler

Summary:
- First filter for Domestic and get rid of bad airport IDs by converting to integer (yes, I know this is lazy)
- do the first network analysis and filter for items with degree < 500 (leaves 5 airports)
- filter the routes to and from these 5
- re-run the network analysis on these airports  275 airports connected

2018-08-26_18-27-06.jpg
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Canada!  Not many airports for such a big country

Network.png

Spoiler
Solution 124.png

Dan

Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

I really enjoyed this challenge! Just for fun, I added an extra bonus section that outputs a Tableau data source with a network analysis of my 3 local airports.

Tableau Public Link

Alteryx Network Analysis.png

JoBen
11 - Bolide

Cheers!

Spoiler
Here is the workflow that I came up with and the final result.
My workflowMy workflowMy end solutionMy end solution
pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution... for some reason... the render never works on my laptop...  

After having done my solution and figure out the inputs fields... I tried somebody else's solution and it does not render... any specific things to look into?

jssandom
8 - Asteroid

My first exposure to the Network Analysis tool.. UK airports only

ipeng
8 - Asteroid

5 airports.PNG

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution, using Iceland to speed up the rendering time.

I found the sample workflow for the Network Analysis tool very helpful in understanding how my inputs needed to be configured.

Help > Sample Workflows > Predictive tool samples > Predictive Analysis > 25 Network Analysis Tool

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-12-30 at 01.18.26.png
JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

My solution :)

Spoiler
challenge_124.PNG