Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #123: When will Rabbits Rule the World?

Prab
7 - Meteor

First Iterative macro... Thanks to the first two responses. 

Solution attached.

KevinW
8 - Asteroid

Fun Challenge, solved with an iterative macro also.

However, I feel that the world's population is larger than the 326 million or so in the text input (could this be the population of the USA?).

KOBoyle
11 - Bolide

Solution attached.

I have to agree with those that came up with 2022-01-02 as the Date, and I don't think there is any ambiguity in the problem. The problem states that Age 0 occurs on the birthdate, not the following month, and that the frequency for each new generation is 4 months not 5. Also, in July the initial births are included in the population count, so all subsequent births should be added to the population in the month of birth. Just counting on my fingers with July = Month 0, the first litter should arrive in November with a new generation every Mar and July after that. In the solution provided, the first litter doesn't arrive until December, and then every 5 months (May, Oct, …) after that. I think where the solution is flawed is that in the current month it calculates new births, and then passes that as an 'Age 0' population to the iteration for the next month. In reality, there is no Age 0 population, the new births should be added to the population in the birth month, and passed to the next iteration as Age 1 population.

Spoiler
challenge_123_solution_KO.png

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

My bunnies are a bit slow

Spoiler
123.PNG
derekbelyea
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
20180722_00001.png
arein0
8 - Asteroid

George_Walker
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Capture.PNG

Not very clean but it works. 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Same answer - some fiddling about with date boundaries (e.g. do the bunnies start breeding on the first day of Month 4 or during month 4 etc)

Spoiler

2018-08-05_15-33-57.png2018-08-05_15-34-30.png
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

getting better at the iterative macros. Thanks, @JoeM, for a fun practice

Spoiler
Workflow, complete with evil bunny icon
image.png

and the underlying macro
image.png

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This was a headscratcher! I'm not sure the Multi_Row Formula tool likes being used like that!