Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #123: When will Rabbits Rule the World?

nivi_s
8 - Asteroid

Challenge #123 Solved!

Spoiler

Pretty close answer, except I got July instead of August, but I think that might be due to how we account for the 4 and 24 month calculations.

clipboard_image_0.png
KMiller
8 - Asteroid

My solution

Spoiler
06-12-2019 16-42-10.png06-12-2019 16-42-38.png
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

I have the correct month and human population, but somehow a slight descrepancy occurred with the bunny count at the end of the process.... It took 48 iterations so 48 months until rabbits rule this planet, so I should consider changing my diet.

Overall workflow:

Spoiler
iterative macro results in a slight deviation at the end... any thoughts on this?iterative macro results in a slight deviation at the end... any thoughts on this?

Macro:

Spoiler
123 bunny explosion.jpg123 macro.jpg
nini
8 - Asteroid

My solution;

SueDonim
8 - Asteroid

As with many, got Jan 2022 as the solution, so moved it out to 5 months rather than 4 and got Aug 2022.  Did not use iterative macro (I haven't learned them yet), but Multi-Row worked fine.  I got a few more humans (probably a function of using only full humans and not fractional ones :-))

Number of bunnies was different, but given the commentary throughout, I believe this is highly open to interpretation, so I'll stick with my answer.

Spoiler
Process:
- Generated 800 months of records (not needed, but theoretically I didn't know how many were required)
- Incremented start date by 1 month for each record
- Added Text Input for monthly human growth
- Append threads
- Calculate human population for each date (Also calculated Repro Date flag as initially I thought births were only every 4 months, but ultimately did not use that since it should be monthly)
- Clean-up
- Calculate Female Population (IF [RowCount] < 5 THEN 1 ELSE [Row-1:FemalePop] + [Row-5:FemalePop] * 3 - [Row-24:FemalePop] ENDIF) allowing for death at 24 months age
- Calculate Male Population (IF [RowCount] < 5 THEN 1 ELSE [Row-1:MalePop] + [Row-5:FemalePop] - [Row-24:MalePop] ENDIF) allowing for death at 24 months age
- Calculate RabbitWorldPop (Sum of Male and Female)
- Calculate RabbitDomination flag (when rabbit pop 2 * human pop)
- Filter for flag = 1
- Take first record
- Clean-up

MySolution.PNG
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I'd been banging my head against a wall on this one for a while at why some of my later records were null, looked again this morning and saw the data type was a byte! A simple select tool solved a weeks worth of confusion!

Spoiler
Outer workflow:
challenge 123 JMS solution (1).PNG

Iterative Macro:challenge 123 JMS solution (2).PNG

rmassambane
10 - Fireball

JamesCameron
8 - Asteroid

My Effort - got it happening 7 months earlier, but by unpicking @mmongeon solution, I worked out it was the 4 month confusion, and was able to get to the provided answer

Spoiler
JamesCameron_0-1580068624222.png
sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid

Got it!

mbogusz
9 - Comet
Spoiler
2020-01-27 07_49_56-Greenshot.png