Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #123: When will Rabbits Rule the World?

nivi_s
8 - Asteroid

Challenge #123 Solved!

Spoiler

Pretty close answer, except I got July instead of August, but I think that might be due to how we account for the 4 and 24 month calculations.

clipboard_image_0.png
KMiller
8 - Asteroid

My solution

Spoiler
06-12-2019 16-42-10.png06-12-2019 16-42-38.png
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

I have the correct month and human population, but somehow a slight descrepancy occurred with the bunny count at the end of the process.... It took 48 iterations so 48 months until rabbits rule this planet, so I should consider changing my diet.

Overall workflow:

Spoiler
iterative macro results in a slight deviation at the end... any thoughts on this?iterative macro results in a slight deviation at the end... any thoughts on this?

Macro:

Spoiler
123 bunny explosion.jpg123 macro.jpg
nini
8 - Asteroid

My solution;

SueDonim
8 - Asteroid

As with many, got Jan 2022 as the solution, so moved it out to 5 months rather than 4 and got Aug 2022.  Did not use iterative macro (I haven't learned them yet), but Multi-Row worked fine.  I got a few more humans (probably a function of using only full humans and not fractional ones :-))

Number of bunnies was different, but given the commentary throughout, I believe this is highly open to interpretation, so I'll stick with my answer.

Spoiler
Process:
- Generated 800 months of records (not needed, but theoretically I didn't know how many were required)
- Incremented start date by 1 month for each record
- Added Text Input for monthly human growth
- Append threads
- Calculate human population for each date (Also calculated Repro Date flag as initially I thought births were only every 4 months, but ultimately did not use that since it should be monthly)
- Clean-up
- Calculate Female Population (IF [RowCount] < 5 THEN 1 ELSE [Row-1:FemalePop] + [Row-5:FemalePop] * 3 - [Row-24:FemalePop] ENDIF) allowing for death at 24 months age
- Calculate Male Population (IF [RowCount] < 5 THEN 1 ELSE [Row-1:MalePop] + [Row-5:FemalePop] - [Row-24:MalePop] ENDIF) allowing for death at 24 months age
- Calculate RabbitWorldPop (Sum of Male and Female)
- Calculate RabbitDomination flag (when rabbit pop 2 * human pop)
- Filter for flag = 1
- Take first record
- Clean-up

MySolution.PNG
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I'd been banging my head against a wall on this one for a while at why some of my later records were null, looked again this morning and saw the data type was a byte! A simple select tool solved a weeks worth of confusion!

Spoiler
Outer workflow:
challenge 123 JMS solution (1).PNG

Iterative Macro:challenge 123 JMS solution (2).PNG

rmassambane
10 - Fireball

JamesCameron
8 - Asteroid

My Effort - got it happening 7 months earlier, but by unpicking @mmongeon solution, I worked out it was the 4 month confusion, and was able to get to the provided answer

Spoiler
JamesCameron_0-1580068624222.png
sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid

Got it!

mbogusz
9 - Comet
Spoiler
2020-01-27 07_49_56-Greenshot.png