community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.

Challenge #120: Popular Baby Names

Asteroid

Meteoroid
Spoiler
challenge_120.jpg
Alteryx Certified Partner

Spoiler
 Capture.PNG

Meteor

Took longer than I had hoped (make to change your strings to a different data type) but here is my solution! Pretty much the same as a few others here. 

Bolide
Bolide

Love challenges like these with large data sets.  

Bolide

Nothing like a weekly challenge to allay the post Inspire blues! I wanted to go a least tools route, so was determined to do all of the parsing in a single formula tool (which also let me rename and assign data types immediately)

Natural instinct is Regex_replace. But like @patrick_digan, noticed this was SLOW. So, used combinations of Left, Right, Substring, Length. Ugly formulas but they work and they're fast!

Only different approach I took was a Make Columns tool instead of the Filter/Join combo. Thanks @NicoleJohnson for introducing me to this tool in a challenge long ago.

Spoiler
image.png
Comet

My version of the challenge, different from the others, used a summarize join instead of a sample first :) 

I went down the same route as @patrick_digan

Spoiler
120.png
Quasar
Spoiler
Challenge #120.PNG

Here is my workflow.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG