Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #120: Popular Baby Names

joshbennett
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
joshbennett_0-1606755951548.png

mollyhatch
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
120 Picture.PNG
bamboriz
5 - Atom

Could only work with the tools I had learned so far but here's mine 😊

shyamraman
8 - Asteroid

Please find attached my solution for the challenge, Its wonderful to see how many different ways everyone has taken to approach the same output. I ended up using only the tools i have learnt so far.

Desmond
8 - Asteroid

My Solution

HemalathaSundaram
7 - Meteor

Spoiler###

HemalathaSundaram_0-1607686177678.png

rajenderk18
8 - Asteroid

So for this one, Here is how my workflow works:

1. First I use Text-to-column tool to get all the names, gender and the number of time it appear.
2. Then I use the Data cleansing tool to get only the year from the file names. I remove all letters, whitespace, special character in the configuration.
3 Then I use the select tool to rename all the columns and change datatype for number of times and year.
4. Then I use the filter tool to separate the male and female into two different data-stream.
5. Then I use summarize tool on both data stream to get the total sum of number of times each name appear group by year and name.
6. Then I sort by year, by number of times and by name.
7. Then I summeraze again and select the first name and number for each year.
8. Then I join both the data stream and get the final results.
9. Then I use the select tool to rename and select the required column.
10. Then I use the browse tool to display final result.

Thanks for the Challenge.

rajenderk18_0-1607811282483.png

mkhan135
5 - Atom

Can we reduce the four summarize tool and 2 sort tools in your solution into only one tool? I think you can improve your approach there. 

BTW, Nice try.

anujc30
6 - Meteoroid

Here is my approach. 

Spoiler
Challenge_120_Result.PNG
gaia_fnt
5 - Atom

I am new to Alteryx, so I am yet to master the huge variety of tools available 🙂 For this challenge, I did my best with the basics, here's my solution:

Spoiler
SPOILER
ch 120 flow.png