community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #120: Popular Baby Names

Atom

I'm brand new to Alteryx (3 days!) and this is what I came up with. Fun challenge!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Meteor

Hi,

this is my approach. 

Asteroid

The names, gender, and frequency were very easy to split; parsing the year also easy: .+(\d{4}).+

I guess that the trick here is to sort by year gender and frequency--(on descending order). 

After that is just getting the unique names and frequency by gender and year;

split and join to finish.

Spoiler
2019-06-26_17-02-34.jpg

Asteroid
Spoiler
I really wanted to try out crosstab for this and noticed not many other solutions have used that and hence didnt need the additional joins I had to add in the end to normalise the output but yay ! crosstabs to the rescue! challenge120_vivek.JPG
Asteroid

So many different ways to get to the same answer. All the cool kids are named Michael. My name had a good run there for awhile, waiting for the comeback. The cache and run workflow was a really nice tool for this challenge.

Spoiler
Spoiler.PNG
Asteroid

11 mins for me on this one.

Spoiler
challenge_120_solution_justindavis.PNG
Asteroid

Beautiful database

Highlighted
Asteroid

Here's my solution.  

Fireball