community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #120: Popular Baby Names

Alteryx Certified Partner

Cache and run very useful with this one!

Spoiler
2019-03-15_11-43-24.png
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
2019-03-16 14_57_36-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_120_start_file CM.yxmd.png

Here is my solution to this weekly challenge, that was sweet and fun.

After I solved it, I looked at some of the others, and I can see, that I have done it completely different from the majority.

All though the solution does ad up with the result, I have began wonder if this approach is feasible at all.

It might be that the answer is correct, but that could just be at lucky punch on how these data is delivered.

On the other hand, one of the beauties of Alteryx is, that there is not just one way of doing things.

Spoiler
So I started out by a simple Text to Columns parse for the names, gender and frequency,
Then used RegEx to parse out the Year from the filename.
The two Cross Tabs for Year and Names, where I take the first name, and then one for Year and Frequency.
Then the two Cross Tabs are Joined on Year, and formatted to math the Output
2019-03-19 09_17_56-Alteryx Designer x64 - challenge_120_solution_verakso.yxmd.png

Still Climbing

/Thomas

Alteryx Partner

Thanks for posting the challenge. My solution mirrors that of many others' here.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Meteor

My solution!

Spoiler
2019-04-03 11_18_22-Window.png
Asteroid
Spoiler
It is cool to see the ways that people were able to solve this more efficiently. Also, this was my first opportunity to use RegEx!

120_BW.PNG
Alteryx Partner

Here's my solution to challenge 120.

Asteroid

My solution attached.

Highlighted
Meteoroid

Beginner Challenge. Quite nice to start with...

Alteryx Partner

:)

Spoiler
challenge 120.PNG